Early start this morning sailing into the sunrise at the east end of Long Island. 6 knots of wind on the beam (so motor sailing of course) and glassy smooth water. We want to make it 70 miles to Cuttyhunk Island where our friends on SV Sea Otter are preparing to go through the Cape Cod canal tomorrow. Winds should be out of the north so we will cross over to the southern shore of Connecticut and Rhode Island, passing north of Fishers Island (where we had intended to make it to last night).
Yesterday we made it 30 miles east of Port Jefferson before the rain made us give up. We started with perfect conditions and then as we started getting rain and storm alerts we cut 2 miles south to shore to anchor if it got unpleasant. It proceeded to lightly rain for the next hour and the heavy rain spots on radar kept weakening before they got to us. So I decided to go straight across between two points instead of sticking to shore, and naturally that is when the weather started to become interesting. The winds gradually built to 20 knots and the rain became moderate. 45 minutes later we made it to a decent place to anchor on the west side of Horton Point and called it a day. My hands and feet were very wrinkled from being wet for several hours. It became foggy so we we're glad to be already stopped. Then we made pizza and relaxed!
We have been doing good with the currents as they have been 1 knot favorable for the whole morning yesterday and presumably today too.